segunda-feira, 13 de julho de 2009

Outdoor hour # 28

This week we took a closer look at dragonflies. We have plenty of these flying around but again it was so hot that we didn't do a nature walk. Dragonfly was the last in my collection of dead insects and now we'll move on to study trees. As we observed the dragonfly I told them about how they are born, what they eat etc. Even the kids' cousin joined us in our study today.

The kids were most impressed by the beautiful wings and the huge eyes.

The picture on the top is Luana's and the other two are Lucas'. I did draw their attention to the shape of the dragonfly's body but it still didn't really come out in the drawings. Bless them :)
Edit. I'm beginning to think this is a damselfly instead of a dragonfly. I bet they have different names in Finnish too but we simply used the one people mainly use when talking about dragonflies/damselflies...

2 comentários:

Barb disse...

Here is what I learned:
Dragonflies rest with their wings out and damselflies rest with their wings in. I think you have a dragonfly.

Drawing is difficult and it just takes time....keep up the good work. I love your journal entries.

Thanks for sharing this week,
Barb-Harmony Art Mom

mamãe disse...

Dragonfly it is then :) Thanks for your comment!