segunda-feira, 24 de março de 2008

Easter desert

This was our desert yesterday. I had baked a kulitsa and made a pasha according to the Russian orthodox tradition. Kulitsa is a sweet bread similar to panettoni eaten in some countries during Christmas time. Pasha is a sweet desert made with quark, whipped cream, dried fruits, raisins, ground almond, sugar, eggs and butter. Basically the ingredients are mixed and the mixture is left in a wooden container in the fridge over night. The cyrillic letters XB appear on both kulitsa and pasha (you can't really see them in the picture) and they mean "Christ is risen".

3 comentários:

dawn klinge disse...

I saw this recipe in one of my books and wanted to try it. It looks good. May I ask what is quark?

mamãe disse...

Dawn, I had to look it up on Wikipedia as I have no idea how to explain it :) Here's the link if you want to go and take a look: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_%28cheese%29

Apparently it's not really available in North America and we don't get it here either. I used natural joghurt that I left in a sieve with some cloth for a few hours so that the excess liquid comes out. It worked just fine and tasted as it should :)

World Wide Alternative disse...

Mmmmmmmmmmm...Xxx